Re: New RIFE filter - 3x faster AI interpolation possible in SVP!!!

When will SVP roll out 4.15v2 with their official update?

1,602 (edited by Xenocyde 09-06-2024 17:39:09)

I had TRT 9.1.2 and decided to give 9.2 a try because I was noticing some microstuttering at times. From what I can see, fast movement might be somewhat improved with 9.2, but microstuttering gets worse. Should I update to latest TRT version or is there really nothing I can do to get rid of microstuttering?

1,603 (edited by flowreen91 09-06-2024 21:06:09)

Xenocyde wrote:

is there really nothing I can do to get rid of microstuttering?

Did u try to enable Statistics in Nvidia App and check if you are giving extra breathing room for your GPU?

For example if it mentions your assigned fps target but it shows something like 98% GPU usage and the FPS value keeps dropping under it like this:
https://gyazo.com/1d9f9788ebecaadbca8a74f8ccd5bb0d
then u should resize it down a bit until your GPU usage % goes down and your FPS value is more stable like this:
https://gyazo.com/a4829e2299a9c51fec02e24ff41c8e29
That should lower significantly the instances when micro stutters happen cause of low resources.

Ooh by the way if u accidentally use the vsmlrt.py from 9.2 archive it will fail to find the rife_v2 folder models.
Attaching below the out of the box SVP vsmlrt.py file cause it still works with 9.2 and can also find the rife_v2 folder models.

Post's attachments

vsmlrt.py 58.45 kb, 62 downloads since 2024-06-09 

1,604 (edited by dawkinscm 09-06-2024 22:23:30)

Xenocyde wrote:

I had TRT 9.1.2 and decided to give 9.2 a try because I was noticing some microstuttering at times. From what I can see, fast movement might be somewhat improved with 9.2, but microstuttering gets worse. Should I update to latest TRT version or is there really nothing I can do to get rid of microstuttering?

The latest TRT version is noted to have 4x worse performance with Rife. So unlike with other version I haven't even bothered trying.

1,605 (edited by Xenocyde 09-06-2024 22:52:31)

flowreen91 wrote:

Did u try to enable Statistics in Nvidia App and check if you are giving extra breathing room for your GPU?

I have an RTX 4080 and I only play 1080p TV series or 4K downscaled to 1080p @2.5X fps with RIFE 4.15. Maximum GPU utilization I see is around 67%. Microstutters are not too often, maybe once every 15 minutes at most.

flowreen91 wrote:

Ooh by the way if u accidentally use the vsmlrt.py from 9.2 archive it will fail to find the rife_v2 folder models.Attaching below the out of the box SVP vsmlrt.py file cause it still works with 9.2 and can also find the rife_v2 folder models.

I only copied the dll and the CUDA folder.

There was a time when microstutters did not occur at all, but who even knows what version of RIFE or what drivers I was using back then.

Xenocyde wrote:

There was a time when microstutters did not occur at all, but who even knows what version of RIFE or what drivers I was using back then.

I don't know if this will help you or not, the same thing happened to me, smooth but some scenes have micro stutters, noticeable on faces when the movement is slow, always talking in the same scene, the combination of Rife 4.17, TRT 9.2 and the latest drivers. from nvidia 555.99 fixed for me , at least for now.
Maybe it's a stupid question, but in the nvidia control panel you have the vertical sync option enabled, if not, do it.

1,607 (edited by dawkinscm 10-06-2024 04:27:31)

Xenocyde wrote:

I have an RTX 4080 and I only play 1080p TV series or 4K downscaled to 1080p @2.5X fps with RIFE 4.15. Maximum GPU utilization I see is around 67%. Microstutters are not too often, maybe once every 15 minutes at most.

The occasional micro-stutter isn't a major issue of course, but it's surprising that your GPU is hitting 67% with downscaling. For me it's around 30% with the same GPU. I use mpv player.

1,608 (edited by RickyAstle98 10-06-2024 07:31:51)

dawkinscm wrote:
Xenocyde wrote:

The occasional micro-stutter isn't a major issue of course, but it's surprising that your GPU is hitting 67% with downscaling. For me it's around 30% with the same GPU. I use mpv player.

Propably yes, but sometimes overlays shows false % usage, 4.9v2 shows 88% for 3X when I can 6X without drops, 70% SVP RTX users use HAGS, thats why usage is higher!

1,609 (edited by Xenocyde 10-06-2024 09:18:13)

dawkinscm wrote:

Haven't actually checked the 4K downscale performance since I don't have a 4K HDR TV and I only get a 4K movie when I can't find the 1080p version. 67% is for native 1080p. I don't have HAGS enabled btw.

Drakko01 wrote:

Maybe it's a stupid question, but in the nvidia control panel you have the vertical sync option enabled, if not, do it.

I will try 4.17, thanks for the suggestion. Yes, vsync is always on.

L.E.: Tried 4.17, I can still see microstuttering. Will try V2 as well.

1,610 (edited by dawkinscm 10-06-2024 10:38:43)

Xenocyde wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:

Haven't actually checked the 4K downscale performance since I don't have a 4K HDR TV and I only get a 4K movie when I can't find the 1080p version. 67% is for native 1080p. I don't have HAGS enabled btw.

HAGS should be off so that is OK. But my previous GPU readings was FHD3D downscaled. With 4K downscaled and playing full ATMOS (which also uses the GPU) my GPU hits 55%.

1,611 (edited by flowreen91 10-06-2024 11:23:22)

67% GPU sounds good. Don't think it's a resource issue then.
V2 models give much better fps than V1 models. So u should see significant improvements from using them.

Xenocyde wrote:

Yes, vsync is always on.

Try to set rife_sc to 100 in SVP so it will not cause microstuttering from repeating frames when a scene change is detected.

Xenocyde, could vsync syncing cause microstuttering then? Cause every time i try to test with video-sync=display-resample it breaks the soap opera effect on panning scenes.
Try to test with it temporarily disabled by adding these in mpv config too:

# D3D11 renderer (default) is required for the HDR playback
gpu-api=d3d11
# disable VSync
video-sync=audio
d3d11-sync-interval=0

Removing vsync wait times from the equation should allow the RIFE generated frames to be displayed realtime. Even if u set it to 120 fps on a 60 fps capped monitor. xD

1,612 (edited by RickyAstle98 10-06-2024 11:28:03)

flowreen91 wrote:

67% GPU sounds good. Don't think it's a resource issue then.
V2 models give much better fps than V1 models. So u should see significant improvements from using them.

Xenocyde wrote:

Yes, vsync is always on.

Try to set rife_sc to 100 in SVP so it will not cause microstuttering from repeating frames when a scene change is detected.

Xenocyde, could vsync syncing cause microstuttering then? Cause every time i try to test with video-sync=display-resample it breaks the soap opera effect on panning scenes.

gpu-api=d3d11
# disable VSync
video-sync=audio
d3d11-sync-interval=0

Removing vsync wait times from the equation should allow the RIFE generated frames to be displayed realtime. Even if u set it to 120 fps on a 60 fps capped monitor. xD

Sadly there is still no solution for microstuttering in general, its not produced by RIFE itself, its something else, happens!

1,613 (edited by Xenocyde 10-06-2024 19:15:38)

dawkinscm wrote:

HAGS should be off so that is OK. But my previous GPU readings was FHD3D downscaled. With 4K downscaled and playing full ATMOS (which also uses the GPU) my GPU hits 55%.

Are you on V2 then? I took readings from 4.15 non-V2. With 4.15 V2 or 4.17 V2 @1080p, utilization varies wildly between 40 and 60%, seems like non-V2 is more intensive but at least it stays at 60 something all the time.

flowreen91 wrote:

SC is already set to 100. I'll try with V2 and disabling vsync + adding the lines in config.

1,614 (edited by dawkinscm 10-06-2024 20:50:48)

Xenocyde wrote:

Are you on V2 then? I took readings from 4.15 non-V2. With 4.15 V2 or 4.17 V2 @1080p, utilization varies wildly between 40 and 60%, seems like non-V2 is more intensive but at least it stays at 60 something all the time.

Nope. I stop using v2 a while back.

1,615 (edited by Xenocyde 10-06-2024 20:53:36)

dawkinscm wrote:

Nope I stop using v2 a while back.

Then not sure how you're getting that performance difference. Different components? OC-ed GPU? Some config tweaks? You're getting same readings in task manager too?

1,616 (edited by dawkinscm 10-06-2024 21:51:53)

Xenocyde wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:

Nope I stop using v2 a while back.

Then not sure how you're getting that performance difference. Different components? OC-ed GPU? Some config tweaks? You're getting same readings in task manager too?

My CPU and RAM have minor OC tweaks but I stopped OC'in my GPU a long time ago. Yes those readings are from the Task Manager.  BTW my GPU is also transmitting the SVP+MPV processed video back to my headset.

Xenocyde wrote:

L.E.: Tried 4.17, I can still see microstuttering. Will try V2 as well.

I work better when I see it, can you give me an example video/scene that gives you microstutters?

Also, what display do you use?

Drivers ?

1,618 (edited by Xenocyde 11-06-2024 07:28:20)

Drakko01 wrote:

I work better when I see it, can you give me an example video/scene that gives you microstutters?

Also, what display do you use?

Drivers ?

The issue is not related to a specific scene. The microstuttering happens and when I rewind to check if maybe that was an encoding frame skip, it's not there anymore. I use a 14-year old 37-inch 1080p Samsung TV (yes I know, need to get a new one, been waiting for a good OLED, but just can't pull the trigger). Drivers are the latest 555.99 from Nvidia.

dawkinscm wrote:

My CPU and RAM have minor OC tweaks but I stopped OC'in my GPU a long time ago. Yes those readings are from the Task Manager.  BTW my GPU is also transmitting the SVP+MPV processed video back to my headset.

So the headset would introduce more lag theoretically? Not sure why that matters. Anyway, what options do you have enabled/disabled in the NV 3D control panel?

1,619 (edited by dawkinscm 11-06-2024 07:49:29)

Xenocyde wrote:

So the headset would introduce more lag theoretically? Not sure why that matters. Anyway, what options do you have enabled/disabled in the NV 3D control panel?

It's interesting because I used to make changes to NV3D panel and have exotic configurations but it looks like I've gone full circle everything because is back to default. No changes made to NV3D panel. I've made some (very) low level driver tweaks by disabling Multiplane Overlay and enabling Message Signalled Interrupts but I doubt they would make a huge difference. Yes the headset does create more load on the GPU.

The occasional micro-stutter doesn't bother me at all when compared to what it was like before Rife.

dawkinscm wrote:
Xenocyde wrote:

No changes made to NV3D panel. I've made some (very) low level driver tweaks by disabling Multiplane Overlay and enabling Message Signalled Interrupts but I doubt they would make a huge difference.

Can you please show a pic with all the options in the 3D panel and maybe explain how to do the other two things you mentioned?

1,621 (edited by dawkinscm 11-06-2024 15:04:00)

Xenocyde wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:
Xenocyde wrote:

No changes made to NV3D panel.
I've made some (very) low level driver tweaks by disabling Multiplane Overlay and enabling Message Signalled Interrupts but I doubt they would make a huge difference.

Can you please show a pic with all the options in the 3D panel and maybe explain how to do the other two things you mentioned?

Hi. Please read my post above again smile

As for the other stuff if you don't want to Google and do them manually then there's a tool that someone in this thread mentioned a few months back called NvCleanInstall  which can help. The link is here: https://www.techpowerup.com/nvcleanstall/ smile

Xenocyde wrote:

The issue is not related to a specific scene. The microstuttering happens and when I rewind to check if maybe that was an encoding frame skip, it's not there anymore. I use a 14-year old 37-inch 1080p Samsung TV (yes I know, need to get a new one, been waiting for a good OLED, but just can't pull the trigger). Drivers are the latest 555.99 from Nvidia.

Okay now I see, let's take another approach then,, remember me if you use MPC HC or MPV. Do you use in combination with Madvr. Later when I back home I share screenshot of my settings. For most useful information if you use Madvr post you control J stats. and you rendering General settings.

1,623 (edited by Xenocyde 11-06-2024 18:39:53)

Drakko01 wrote:

Okay now I see, let's take another approach then,, remember me if you use MPC HC or MPV. Do you use in combination with Madvr. Later when I back home I share screenshot of my settings. For most useful information if you use Madvr post you control J stats. and you rendering General settings.

I use MPV so no MadVR from what I know.

dawkinscm wrote:

There's a tool that someone in this thread mentioned a few months back called NvCleanInstall  which can help. The link is here: https://www.techpowerup.com/nvcleanstall/ smile

OK, I made those two modifications with NVCleanstall, but I can still see 2-3 stutters per 40+ minute TV series episode. I don't have 3D options on default as some games require certain tweaks. Also, I don't really think it's possible you left everything on default, but whatever, maybe I'm asking too much.

flowreen91 wrote:

gpu-api=d3d11
# disable VSync
video-sync=audio
d3d11-sync-interval=0

Not sure if you wanted me to test with vsync disabled from Nvidia Control Panel. I turned it off there, but I was getting screen tears so had to turn it back on. I removed the # before "disable VSync" from the config file and I can still see microstutters. Let me know if that is what you wanted me to test.

1,624 (edited by dawkinscm 11-06-2024 18:48:03)

Xenocyde wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:

There's a tool that someone in this thread mentioned a few months back called NvCleanInstall  which can help. The link is here: https://www.techpowerup.com/nvcleanstall/ smile

OK, I made those two modifications with NVCleanstall, but I can still see 2-3 stutters per 40+ minute TV series episode. I don't have 3D options on default as some games require certain tweaks. Also, I don't really think it's possible you left everything on default, but whatever, maybe I'm asking too much.

I told you about those two changes which I don't think I've ever mentioned before. I also told you that they were unlikely to make any difference, and your response is:

Xenocyde wrote:

I don't really think it's possible you left everything on default, but whatever, maybe I'm asking too much.

Really? What made you decide today was a good day to call me a liar?

1,625 (edited by flowreen91 11-06-2024 19:12:26)

Xenocyde wrote:

I removed the # before "disable VSync" from the config file and I can still see microstutters. Let me know if that is what you wanted me to test.

2-3 stutters per 40+ minute sounds actually OK.
In mpv.conf the lines with "#"  in front are actually comments, so u can delete them. I only wanted u to check if u add these to see if it improves anything:

gpu-api=d3d11
video-sync=audio
d3d11-sync-interval=0

"but I was getting screen tears"
If u see these then try above commands while keeping Nvidia Control Panel Vsync enabled.
The commands are meant for mpv to display stuff faster internally big_smile
If no visible improvements, then keep what u were using before that had the most stable fps.

There are specific scenes where RIFE doesn't know how to scene change and might cause microstutters, but otherwise seems fine to me.

Joke: Double your fps target so it will half the microstutters duration.