1,651 (edited by flowreen91 18-06-2024 00:18:38)

Re: New RIFE filter - 3x faster AI interpolation possible in SVP!!!

Xenocyde wrote:

Unfortunately I can still see microstuttering

I noticed that if i exit specific background apps like TeamViewer, i suddenly get 20-30 extra fps with SVP.
I believe TeamViewer reads the memory and causes a bottleneck even when it's minimized in taskbar.

Xenocyde try to close your 200 Chrome tabs and other background apps and see if u find the specific app that causes that microstuttering. It's good to know.
Try it with the 4.17 lite version cause it's easier on the GPU:
https://github.com/AmusementClub/vs-mlr … nal-models
Or... nevermind, try with other models.

flowreen91 wrote:
Xenocyde wrote:

I noticed that if i exit specific background apps like TeamViewer, i suddenly get 20-30 extra fps with SVP.
I believe TeamViewer reads the memory and causes a bottleneck even when it's minimized in taskbar.

Xenocyde try to close your 200 Chrome tabs and other background apps and see if u find the specific app that causes that microstuttering. It's good to know.

The v4.17 lite version is an experiment and from what I see, it's worse than even v4.17.

1,653 (edited by RickyAstle98 18-06-2024 06:05:39)

dawkinscm wrote:
flowreen91 wrote:
Xenocyde wrote:

The v4.17 lite version is an experiment and from what I see, it's worse than even v4.17.

As originally stated, the lite versions have lower accuracy of temporal calculations, so from some of my early tests I noticed artifacts where even older versions would have better!
For example : 4.16v2 still can produce wavy zigzag artefacts in specific pattern areas, while 4.9v2 artefact does no exist (only SPECIFIC areas)!

1,654 (edited by Xenocyde 18-06-2024 07:04:40)

flowreen91 wrote:
Xenocyde wrote:

I uninstalled TeamViewer and I don't use Chrome cuz it's a RAM hog crappy browser. Firefox isn't perfect, but it's far less taxing, and I don't have 200 tabs opened lol. Oh, MPC-BE is only using 32% GPU power at most in 1080p @ 60 fps, so it's at least 10% better than MPV.

Don't think background apps and processes can influence microstuttering in my case. I'll monitor background stuff too but I tend to believe that the problems are linked to encoding at unpopular fps like 25 fps or something wrong with the source.

1,655 (edited by dawkinscm 18-06-2024 09:01:58)

I think with microstuttering, some of us can see it because of a large screen size or we are sitting close to a TV or maybe some of us are more sensitive to it. But I think we all get microstuttering with Rife.

1,656 (edited by StanTheMan 18-06-2024 09:03:45)

Hey, guys!
Users of 4070 Super and 4080 Super, please respond, how's the RIFE doing?
Currently i have 3060 Ti and plan to upgrade. Ultimately, i want to upgrade to 4080 Super, but the most real scenario that i will upgrade to 4070 Super (not even Ti), because of budget. What about fps that 4070 Super or 4080 Super can provide? Is it handle 4K or not? Also, what about GPU Super Resolution upscale in the Media Player Classic (MPC Render), can it handle? I use Super Res in the level 1 (of 4), it's great performance with picture quality 1080->4K, but i want the full 4 levels. I watch only in 60 fps.

1,657 (edited by RickyAstle98 18-06-2024 11:03:04)

StanTheMan wrote:

Hey, guys!
Users of 4070 Super and 4080 Super, please respond, how's the RIFE doing?
Currently i have 3060 Ti and plan to upgrade. Ultimately, i want to upgrade to 4080 Super, but the most real scenario that i will upgrade to 4070 Super (not even Ti), because of budget. What about fps that 4070 Super or 4080 Super can provide? Is it handle 4K or not? Also, what about GPU Super Resolution upscale in the Media Player Classic (MPC Render), can it handle? I use Super Res in the level 1 (of 4), it's great performance with picture quality 1080->4K, but i want the full 4 levels. I watch only in 60 fps.

As 4070 user almost 8 month, tested too many times, can it handle 4K? For example my GPU can run 2X@4K up to 4.9v2 models (struggles), Super almost the same, so yes, can handle (4.10+ models are more agressive)! Dont know too much about GPU Super Resolution, but it doesnt helps with target framerates imho! You watch only in 60FPS, 4K 24>60 is bad idea even for older models, its uses more resources than 3X factor! I downscale movies to HD and then 6X because of monitor! I think 4K>2K/2.5K will be enough for 24>60 procedures, without significant image quality drop!

1,658 (edited by abraxas 24-06-2024 07:50:05)

RTX 4070 here. Scaling of 4k content down to -23041260, frames x2 (e.g. mostly 48fps), then upscaling to 4k with MPV, additional filters like adaptive sharpening. Very smooth, very nice, GPU usage max. 80-85%.

Edit: Using 4.15_lite (v2).

I don't understand you folks downscaling 4K content.

With RIFE ~4.4/4.6, you can easily get 2X - this will up 24fps to 48fps, but YOU MUST CREATE AND USE A CUSTOM 48Hz @4K resolution! It is buttery smooth.

Higher than 2X gives diminishing returns, and really isn't worth the quality loss from downscaling the image to get there.

RAGEdemon wrote:

I don't understand you folks downscaling 4K content.

With RIFE ~4.4/4.6, you can easily get 2X - this will up 24fps to 48fps, but YOU MUST CREATE AND USE A CUSTOM 48Hz @4K resolution! It is buttery smooth.

Higher than 2X gives diminishing returns, and really isn't worth the quality loss from downscaling the image to get there.

First, you assume the screen everyone has can accept 4k@48hz, some of us use a TV.
Second, the loss of quality is overrated, not all of us think the same when it comes to saying that it looks better, too many variables and hardware.

abraxas wrote:

RTX 4070 here. Scaling of 4k content down to -23041260, frames x2 (e.g. mostly 48fps), then upscaling to 4k with MPV, additional filters like adaptive sharpening. Very smooth, very nice, GPU usage max. 80-85%.

In two weeks I am thinking of upgrading to a 4070 ti super, if I do I will share my testings

RAGEdemon wrote:

With RIFE ~4.4/4.6, you can easily get 2X - this will up 24fps to 48fps

For minimum loss of quality we should not use RIFE and just go with the SVP's Automatic interpolation because it's not a resource hog.

SVP 4.6.0.272

1. added motion vectors-based scene change detection for RIFE
2. configurable "decrease to..." function (on the "Frame size" page) - selectable target resolution and downscaling filter

1,664 (edited by dawkinscm 24-06-2024 16:44:10)

Chainik wrote:

SVP 4.6.0.272

2. configurable "decrease to..." function (on the "Frame size" page) - selectable target resolution and downscaling filter

Thanks for the update. I decided to completely reinstall everything to remove any changes I made. The results so far are that
- SVOP and Image Comparison and disabled give very similar results.
- NVOF might be a little worse overall but still similar.
- This is the same as before except that all of them feel a little less smooth than the previous setup with SC set to 100.
- Setting SC to 100 with this new software seems to be similar to the others as well. Although when I add back the MVP interpolation code that helps. I also put back the TensorRT9.2 files.

Let's see what others say.

1,665 (edited by noctis4329 24-06-2024 17:06:28)

dawkinscm wrote:
Chainik wrote:

SVP 4.6.0.272

Thanks for the update. I decided to completely reinstall everything to remove any changes I made. The results so far are that
- This is the same as before except that all of them feel a little less smooth than the previous setup with SC set to 100.
- Setting SC to 100 with this new software seems to be similar to the others as well. Although when I add back the MVP interpolation code that helps. I also put back the TensorRT9.2 files.

same for me
previous version with sc 100 is better
in new version i can't set sc 100, so i have to rollback?

edit: i found when using image comparison in all settings

1,666 (edited by RickyAstle98 24-06-2024 17:06:50)

dawkinscm wrote:
Chainik wrote:

SVP 4.6.0.272

Everything works when SC threshold lower than 15% (yes), NVOF handles fast paced scenes a lot better, SVP vectors just duplicate frames, Image Comparison almost the same with dump method (over 15%)
Over 25% every methods handles frame almost the same (as dumb/comparison method)

OK so after more testing my current settings are:

TensorRT: 9.2
SC: Image Detect
SCT: 25%
AdjFra: Blend

Disabled similar to when previously set to SCT: 100%
SVP motion vectors work nicely except for Hugo.
NVOP was the worse in previous testing and nothing has changed.

dawkinscm wrote:

Idk how you test, everything works as intended, check my previous comment, everything over 15/25% is similiar to look!

1,669 (edited by dawkinscm 24-06-2024 18:14:34)

RickyAstle98 wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:

Idk how you test, everything works as intended, check my previous comment, everything over 15/25% is similiar to look!

I know everything over 15/25% is similar. Actually I was the first one to point out that everything over 15% is similar smile But that's what I found worked best with version of MPV that comes with SVP. I've done more testing and found that my later version behaves as before which is a little different to MPV v0.36.
With 0.37 I find that 15% is the smoothest of should mean anything 15 and above but that's not the MPV that comes with SVP so I didn't update my results.

I test with a lot of different types of movement and  I've been using the same test scenes for maybe a year or more so I am very familiar with the artefacts being generated by Rife or in this case by SCT. I also watch on a very large screen so I am able to see every microstutter and even the smallest artefacts.

In the end all of this stuff is setup dependant and YMMV smile

Installed the latest update and I noticed the Duplicate Frame Removal drop-down switched to Remove Every Other Frame. Shouldn't this stay on Don't Remove, even with Image Comparison + SCT 100% + Blend Adjacent Frames?

Xenocyde wrote:

Installed the latest update and I noticed the Duplicate Frame Removal drop-down switched to Remove Every Other Frame. Shouldn't this stay on Don't Remove, even with Image Comparison + SCT 100% + Blend Adjacent Frames?

Mine didn't do that but did anyone else's do that?

The only bug I've seen is that sometimes when you change the Decreasing filter then SVP doesn't work the next time you start a video. But if I make sure to exit the Frame Size window back to the Main window then SVP always works with no issues.

1,672 (edited by Kaiji 24-06-2024 18:55:14)

I was excited to see the new scene change options but on testing the results seem worse than using image comparison (which is itself very bad). There were instances where the cartoon scene switched from high velocity movement in one shot to a perfectly motionless image in the next, yet there were heavy artifacts in the transition.

Would it be possible to add an option to configure the sensitivity of the motion detection, or even allow a combination of image comparison and motion detection at the same time?

> but on testing the results seem worse than using image comparison

you'd better provide a sample video if you want this fixed
for the samples I tested MVs-based scene change is significantly better

> Would it be possible to add an option to configure the sensitivity of the motion detection

https://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopi … 680#p84680

"Scene change-related params from override.js should also work, such as smooth.scene.limits.zero, .blocks, .scene (see a short description there - https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Manual:SVPflow")

1,674 (edited by jdg4dfv7 24-06-2024 20:00:25)

@Chainik

Hello,

1)
is the older TensorRT-updating method mentioned here https://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopi … 674#p83674
swapping "vstrt.dll and the folder vsmlrt-cuda" only,
still correct and applies for the "v15: latest TensorRT library" from june 2024, together with the newest "RIFE 4.17"?

No other files from the downloaded "vsmlrt-windows-x64-cuda.v15.7z" need to be swapped?
I.e. there is a new folder "vsov" added (100 MB), which is currently not there in "C:\Program Files (x86)\SVP 4\rife"

Using "Rife 4.15 and 4.16" I previously updated this way to the "v14.test4: latest TensorRT and ONNX Runtime libraries" from march 27.
Despite mentioning your performance regression

enjoy" what exactly? 10-15% performance drop

https://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopi … 612#p84612

I noticed a drop of 5 % in gpu-utilization and 7 - 8 % in gpu-power, when comparing the same video files for 5 minutes (and had to do all the inferencing for every resolution again).
So I understand it was the correct way to do?

2)
Does "vsmlrt.py" in the "svp/rife" folder, this times has to be swapped too?
It says "vsmlrt.py: Added support for RIFE v4.17 models.", the previous TensorRT version does not mention that.

You stated smt. before, but I have no knowledge if that applies this time too.

only for TRT>=9
with TRT8 updating vsmlrt.py most likely does nothing
[...]

@Chainik

With the newest update, please write down here, for laymen to understand, what's the best opion to use, i.e. achieving highest image quality, image artifacts, smoothness, when using RIFE 4.17 (or older versions) with the newest TensorRT (or not), regarding
- SVP motion vectors
- NVOF motion vectors
- image comparison

I use a graphics card RTX 4090. Is there a diference in performance, so users with less or more performant graphic cards have to care?

I previously used "image comparison 12 %" because someone mentioned it here.

Someone wrote smt. about it already, but I like to hear you detailed opinion.

Thanks in advance.