1,701 (edited by flowreen91 03-07-2024 20:09:16)

Re: New RIFE filter - 3x faster AI interpolation possible in SVP!!!

dawkinscm wrote:

I tested using an MPV build from this week with the latest SVP update.

With the MPV update, your mpv.conf file reseted, probably you should apply your previous mpv optimizations to get back to the old performance (if u had any).

New Rife 4.18 here:
https://github.com/AmusementClub/vs-mlr … nal-models

Chainik wrote:

apparently, DV blinking _was_ fixed, but it seems that now, with a processing logic changed for "motion vectors scene change", the blinking is back, but for a different reason big_smile and it's a different kind of blinking now...

still the latest "0.38" changes were necessary, but not enough

Interesting, well I have tested it for a while as you know and I have documented here before as well, Dolby Vision has never worked with RIFE correctly. Blinking was always present. At least for my setup, RTX 3090 + LG C2 OLED.

Curious what mpv config do you use? Do you mind sharing yours.

flowreen91 wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:

I tested using an MPV build from this week with the latest SVP update.

With the MPV update, your mpv.conf file reseted, probably you should apply your previous mpv optimizations to get back to the old performance (if u had any).

New Rife 4.18 here:
https://github.com/AmusementClub/vs-mlr … nal-models

Tested and 3090 not powerful enough to do 4K x 2, so I'm going back to 4.16_Lite_(v2) (most stable version for me in terms of performance). I will wait for 4.18_Lite_(v2) and see how it goes.

Interested for those who do tests to see if there are visual improvements with 4.18

1,703 (edited by dawkinscm 03-07-2024 22:27:23)

Blackfyre wrote:

New Rife 4.18 here:
Interested for those who do tests to see if there are visual improvements with 4.18

Thank you. I was not expecting this. Anyway I did a quick run through my test scenes and was about to give when when I did find one scene which had a minor improvement with reduced movement artefacts to the point where you almost can't see it anymore. That's a good sign of hopefully more good things to come.

Thanks again smile

Chainik wrote:

Drakko01

>I still think that image comparison work the best

to be "the best" it must give less false positive scene changes, and less missed scene changes
which is not true

What I try to say it's that i see fewer errors in the reproduction. I pointed out one example of this in Doctor Strange Multiverse of madness, after defender Strange is killed by the Ribboned Creature and America chavez run underneath. before of  update both Svp motion and NVOF give similar errors, and IC dont. After the latest update only SVP motion failed that particular scene.

As dawkinscm say I cant only share my what i see. And I assure you that I am not against svp, from the beginning I preach to anyone who talks to me about its use. I just want to see it improve day by day, since I use it always.

1,705 (edited by dawkinscm 03-07-2024 22:58:33)

Something interesting is happening. Before in order to reduce GPU usage for my 1920x2160p movies I had to reduce screen size using SVP, even though my screen was set to 1080p. I no longer need to do this. There was another related issue with a 3D SBS file that didn't work properly which now works fine.  This means that I have now regained control over the downscale rather than relying on Vapoursynth downscalers. I thought maybe that Rife wasn't working because there is a bug in SVP where it sometimes runs but is not actually interpolating. But the test scenes are smooth and my GPU is running under 40%. But CPU load doubles when in use so maybe more of the load has been handed off to it.

Drakko01 wrote:

I pointed out one example of this in Doctor Strange Multiverse of madness, after defender Strange is killed by the Ribboned Creature and America chavez run underneath.

Can you provide the timestamp? I have that in high quality and I can test tomorrow.

Because from my tests the other day, I did not find any issues with NVOF, or Motion Vectors, or Image Comparison = 99, all were the same for me on 4K high bitrate content, but I only done a bit of testing.

1,707 (edited by dawkinscm 04-07-2024 05:56:46)

*deleted*

Blackfyre wrote:
Drakko01 wrote:

I pointed out one example of this in Doctor Strange Multiverse of madness, after defender Strange is killed by the Ribboned Creature and America chavez run underneath.

Can you provide the timestamp? I have that in high quality and I can test tomorrow.

3.06 and 3.16 the ribbons of the creature , maybe I misinterpreted and its something else.Thanks for taking the time.

dawkinscm wrote:

There's also scene in Dr Strange 2 where using SVP to reduce screen size actually helps to remove a movement artefact. The scene when he throws his cloak towards the monster to rescue the girl, there's always a little judder and some artefacts when she returns. But with Decrease Screen size, it's gone.

Same with the cloak and the bike for me that scene its horrible mismatching.

1,710 (edited by dawkinscm 03-07-2024 23:52:11)

Drakko01 wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:

There's also scene in Dr Strange 2 where using SVP to reduce screen size actually helps to remove a movement artefact. The scene when he throws his cloak towards the monster to rescue the girl, there's always a little judder and some artefacts when she returns. But with Decrease Screen size, it's gone.

Same with the cloak and the bike for me that scene its horrible mismatching.

Apologies this one was my mistake. Yes those scenes have always caused me issues but not with v4.15 or v4.18. I was in the middle of testing GPU vs CPU using v4.9 for comparison and forgot to change back to v4.15/18. With v4.15/18 those scenes work fine. However the reduction in GPU usage and moderate increase in CPU is still there. BTW There's another movie scene I recently added for testing which had artefacts even on v4.15, but with this recent SVP update they are gone.

1,711 (edited by dawkinscm 03-07-2024 23:53:34)

Update:  My VR headset also has increased CPU and decreased GPU usage effectively spreading resource usage across both CPU and GPU. I checked my Nvidia settings and there are still no changes. So this might be some kind of Microsoft/Nvidia optimisation.

Drakko01 wrote:
Blackfyre wrote:
Drakko01 wrote:

I pointed out one example of this in Doctor Strange Multiverse of madness, after defender Strange is killed by the Ribboned Creature and America Chavez run underneath.

3.06 and 3.16 the ribbons of the creature , maybe I misinterpreted and its something else.Thanks for taking the time.

Artifacts do not change for me, all 3 show very little artifacts with the 4K Bluray quality. If anything, SVP Motion Vectors maybe shows least.

However you are right, Image Comparison at 99% for me does appear to be the "smoothest" out of the 3 options.

SVP Motion Vectors in those specific time stamps makes the creature ribbons and America Chavez look as though they are dropping frames (even though there are no dropped frames at all), similar to Image Comparison when its set to very low percentages like 6% for example. But with custom 99% it is the smoothest always.

1,713 (edited by dawkinscm 04-07-2024 05:50:54)

Blackfyre wrote:

SVP Motion Vectors in those specific time stamps makes the creature ribbons and America Chavez look as though they are dropping frames (even though there are no dropped frames at all), similar to Image Comparison when its set to very low percentages like 6% for example. But with custom 99% it is the smoothest always.

That's like what I was seeing in Alita at certain scene changes where she was skating.

Heh, I wanted to report about my tests with the latest SVP update, but now I see Rife V4.18 is out.

I'll check the new Rife version and report on that too, but I can confirm that, with 4.15, SVP MV improved to the point it is almost the same as NVOF and IC. I can still see a bit more microstutter with SVP MV and maybe a few more artifacts.

I'll have to give IC 99% a try, have been using 100%. Also, with the latest MPV update, I can't remember if hwdec=auto-copy needs to be disabled in conf... please advise.

1,715 (edited by dawkinscm 04-07-2024 10:10:39)

Doesn't setting SC to high figures like 99% majorly reduce how much interpolation is being done? Doesn't setting it to 100% effectively turn it off. Isn't that what we were doing previously?

Edit: 100% turns off SC not Rife.

1,716 (edited by flowreen91 04-07-2024 09:02:51)

dawkinscm wrote:

Doesn't setting it to 100% effectively turn it off.

Scene change 100% allows rife to interpolate everything all the time.
Scene change at 99% and below enables the selected scene change detector to compare the frames
if a scene change is detected then it will prevent the interpolation by repeating the same frame and creating a "microstutter" in order to prevent visual issues that happen when camera teleports around.

1,717 (edited by dawkinscm 04-07-2024 10:12:18)

flowreen91 wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:

Doesn't setting it to 100% effectively turn it off.

Scene change 100% allows rife to interpolate everything all the time.
Scene change at 99% and below enables the selected scene change detector to compare the frames
if a scene change is detected then it will prevent the interpolation by repeating the same frame and creating a "microstutter" in order to prevent visual issues that happen when camera teleports around.

Ahh yes that's it, it turns off SC not Rife. It was late and I was tired lol. 15% works really well and I remember saying the before the update, 15% and above behaved the same for me. But SVP has been updated and I see that 25% behaves a little differently to 15%, so I will give 99% and 100% a try.

Guys, do I need to disable hwdec=auto-copy in config? MPV got updated and it reset my config file.

Xenocyde wrote:

Guys, do I need to disable hwdec=auto-copy in config? MPV got updated and it reset my config file.

Actually no, auto-copy better for RIFE procedures, for me for example (RTX 4070 user)

1,720 (edited by dawkinscm 04-07-2024 15:29:41)

RickyAstle98 wrote:
Xenocyde wrote:

Actually no, auto-copy better for RIFE procedures, for me for example (RTX 4070 user)

I remember @chainik saying that this is no longer the case and after testing it looks like we don't need to specifically use *-copy anymore.

Blackfyre wrote:

SVP Motion Vectors in those specific time stamps makes the creature ribbons and America Chavez look as though they are frames (even though there are no dropped frames at all), similar to Image Comparison when its set to very low percentages like 6% for example..

Thats exactly what I was trying to say, maybe this helpChainik . for tune up.
The test for the 4.18 it's going well, dont test performance values, only viewing experience. Someone knows which changes /modifications it's in these model?

1,722 (edited by Blackfyre 05-07-2024 07:26:00)

EDIT: Deleted / Wrong Info, forgot to switch refresh rate to Custom 48Hz before testing.

1,723 (edited by Xenocyde 05-07-2024 12:31:47)

I tested a bit with 4.18 and IC 99%, as well as 25% and it seems like 25% has less microstuttering for me, although the scene changes present a bit harsher at times. Have to test with more content.

1,724 (edited by RAGEdemon 05-07-2024 21:44:09)

Guys, I'm confused.

On a 48Hz display, SVP can simply double a 24fps movie to 48fps.

So the frame sequence looks like

Real Fake Real Fake Real Fake Real Fake Real Fake Real Fake

However, how does SVP sync 24fps to 60Hz displays?

60Hz / 24fps = 2.5x fps required to sync. How does it generate half in-between frames? Can someone explain to me the mechanism?

Does it insert a generated frame every 2 frames, so it looks like this?

Real Fake1 Real Fake1 Fake2 Real Fake1 Real Fake1 Fake2 Real Fake1 Real Fake1 Fake2 (This would cause microstutter)

Or something else?

24 * 5 , and then take every other frame