1,776 (edited by Xenocyde 13-07-2024 18:49:15)

Re: New RIFE filter - 3x faster AI interpolation possible in SVP!!!

I just had SVP trigger in "ignore HFR sources" profile, but I'm not really sure why this happened. I'm watching S10 of the new Doctor Who series and all episodes appear to be encoded at 25 fps according to MPV. However, starting with Episode 6, SVP is triggering the ignore HFR sources profile after saying it is playing at 50 fps. How does SVP identify some videos as HFR and some as non-HFR if all are 25 fps? Also, if I raise the video frame rate threshold from 47 to 60 on the ignore HFR sources profile, the RIFE profile gets triggered with fixed 60 fps, but some videos exhibit strange microstuttering as if they are not truly running at 60 fps, probably because of the threshold conversion. Any way to fix this?

1,777 (edited by dawkinscm 13-07-2024 18:07:07)

Xenocyde wrote:

I just had SVP trigger in "ignore HFR sources," but I'm not really sure why this happened. I'm watching S10 of the new Doctor Who series and all episodes appear to be encoded at 25 fps according to MPV. However, starting with Episode 6, SVP is triggering the ignore HFR sources profile after saying it is playing at 50 fps. How does SVP identify some videos as HFR and some as non-HFR if all are 25 fps? Also, if I raise the video frame rate threshold from 47 to 60 on the ignore HFR sources profile, the RIFE profile gets triggered with fixed 60 fps, but some videos exhibit strange microstuttering as if they are not truly running at 60 fps, probably because of the threshold conversion. Any way to fix this?

I've seen it do that a few times, but I usually ignore it because it only triggers on stuff I normally wouldn't watch with SVP. But if you regularly watch 4K with SVP then I see how it could be a problem.

Blackfyre wrote:

You can read more about them on their pages. But also, if you want an article explaining them, as well as better shaders that are more demanding which I cannot run with an RTX 3090 while using RIFE, have a read through this: https://artoriuz.github.io/blog/mpv_upscaling.html

I tried to download ArtCNN since it says here that it beats FSRCNNX:
https://artoriuz.github.io/blog/mpv_ups … ng_results

When starting a video on my RTX 4080, it froze my mpv for 120 seconds to create a cache somewhere. Once it finished, it loads instantly every time.
Try to get it from here and wait for it to finish caching ArtCNN_C4F32_CMP for 3-6 minutes and it should probably run ok:
https://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopi … 264#p84264

flowreen91 wrote:
Blackfyre wrote:

You can read more about them on their pages. But also, if you want an article explaining them, as well as better shaders that are more demanding which I cannot run with an RTX 3090 while using RIFE, have a read through this: https://artoriuz.github.io/blog/mpv_upscaling.html

I tried to download ArtCNN since it says here that it beats FSRCNNX:
https://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopi … 264#p84264

As I said before, machine generated scores doesn't guarantee the best looking picture because human perception and preference isn't objective. The other thing I said is that much of this is designed specifically for Anime and that definitely applies to ArtCNN. So hopefully you are an Anime watcher smile

1,780 (edited by Blackfyre 14-07-2024 09:09:14)

dawkinscm wrote:

As I said before, machine generated scores doesn't guarantee the best looking picture because human perception and preference isn't objective. The other thing I said is that much of this is designed specifically for Anime and that definitely applies to ArtCNN. So hopefully you are an Anime watcher smile

Also don't forget there are different levels to it, for example I would never use strongest FSRCNNX because it would introduce too much sharpness for non-Anime. However, the one I do use, is always very helpful in improving the sharpness just a little a bit because I have the TV sharpness set to 0 on the LG C2.

TV sharpness is much worse than these AI shaders btw, so actually using the shaders as an alternative and toning down the TV ones definitely helps.

In most cases though, I imagine people here use monitors, which automatically have sharpness set to 0.

It also wouldn't make sense to use these upscalers on a 27" or 32" 4K monitor, as again like @dawkinscm says, it would look too sharp.

However, watching on a 42" screen, and I have been using 42" and 43" screens for almost a decade now, I started using FSRCNNX in its very early days and have not looked back, it is great.

So, a lot of factors play a role, no harm in testing and seeing what you prefer.

For reference, I use FSRCNNX_x2_8-0-4-1.glsl, which is the 8- and it's very low sharpness compared to the 16- and 32-.

Blackfyre wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:

Also don't forget there are different levels to it, for example I would never use strongest FSRCNNX because it would introduce too much sharpness for non-Anime. However, the one I do use, is always very helpful in improving the sharpness just a little a bit because I have the TV sharpness set to 0 on the LG C2.

TV sharpness is much worse than these AI shaders btw, so actually using the shaders as an alternative and toning down the TV ones definitely helps.

In most cases though, I imagine people here use monitors, which automatically have sharpness set to 0.

It also wouldn't make sense to use these upscalers on a 27" or 32" 4K monitor, as again like @dawkinscm says, it would look too sharp.

However, watching on a 42" screen, and I have been using 42" and 43" screens for almost a decade now, I started using FSRCNNX in its very early days and have not looked back, it is great.

So, a lot of factors play a role, no harm in testing and seeing what you prefer.

For reference, I use FSRCNNX_x2_8-0-4-1.glsl, which is the 8- and it's very low sharpness compared to the 16- and 32-.

How are you using FSRCNNX because by default because it doesn't work unless there's at least 2x scaling required. Is it listed your in your mpv page 2 stats?

1,782 (edited by Blackfyre 15-07-2024 12:17:57)

dawkinscm wrote:

How are you using FSRCNNX because by default because it doesn't work unless there's at least 2x scaling required. Is it listed your in your mpv page 2 stats?

1080p to 4K content, such as Arcane (Netflix) when testing RIFE versions or when watching old content. Some old favourites like Everybody Loves Raymond, Friends, etc are all not 4K content too.

Otherwise at 4K, mpv will automatically use the internal scaler, for example I have mine set to ewa_lanczos in the config, which btw:

Source for quote below: https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/GPU-Next-vs-GPU

ewa_lanczos defaults to using radius 3.2383  in gpu-next, rather than the radius 3.0 of gpu.

1,783 (edited by dawkinscm 15-07-2024 12:26:24)

Blackfyre wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:

1080p to 4K content, such as Arcane (Netflix) when testing RIFE versions or when watching old content. Some old favourites like Everybody Loves Raymond, Friends, etc are all not 4K content too.

Yep that makes sense. I frigged the code so that it works on everything lol. It didn't make any difference to the normal stuff I was watching and a decent high end Sony TV from the last 7 years upscales DVDs and other low rez stuff better than any PC upscaler I've tried. But recently other TV manufacturers are catching up.

Blackfyre wrote:

Otherwise at 4K, mpv will automatically use the internal scaler, for example I have mine set to ewa_lanczos in the config, which btw:

I just use the High Quality profile default which is lanczossharp.

Blackfyre wrote:
Chainik wrote:

Blackfyre
> Hopefully in the future you find a solution to the above as well, that would be amazing!

blinking comes from mixing two frames having different colors, so I don't see any solution for RIFE
... except inserting a "regular SVP"-generated frames at these points, but it sounds too complicated for now

Wow yeah that makes sense.

What is interesting is why does some DV content work ALMOST flawlessly with very little blinking or stutter in some TV shows, such as House of the Dragon, but then Disney TV shows with DV stutter so much now (flicker before)?

EDIT: Fixed as I just noticed it happening in very specific scenes in HoTD, but very limited.

So, I assume the answer is colour grading and luminance grading. The higher the quality and smoothness between frames, the less it occurs. And HotD is produced with very high quality.

dawkinscm wrote:
Blackfyre wrote:

For anyone interested, this is my mpv config now - you can scroll up and down in the code below to see the full config:

ontop 

dither=error-diffusion 
error-diffusion=burkes 

Thanks for this. There's nothing in your config that makes a difference for SVP and we've already had the discussion about config lines that essentially do nothing or are even contradictory. But if you are happy with the picture then I suppose it doesn't matter big_smile However I am interested in the error-diffusion you chose so I will try that out. Thanks smile

Can you point out the config lines that do nothing in my latest config, and also the ones that are contradictory and what they are contradicting? I would love to tone it down and clean it up. I thought this is the cleaned-up version as I removed and changed many of the old lines after the latest SVP update that fixed flickering.

I'll post the latest config here as a quote:

ontop
fullscreen=yes
d3d11-exclusive-fs=yes

volume=100
volume-max=100

vo=gpu-next
gpu-api=d3d11
hwdec=auto-copy
hwdec-codecs=all
gpu-context=d3d11

hdr-compute-peak=yes
tone-mapping=bt.2446a
target-colorspace-hint=yes

scale=ewa_lanczos
cscale=ewa_lanczos
dscale=ewa_lanczos
tscale=ewa_lanczos

dither-depth=10
dither=error-diffusion
error-diffusion=burkes

osd-color=0.5
osd-font-size=30
osd-font='Inter Tight Medium'

#sub-gray
sub-auto=fuzzy
#sub-gauss=0.9
slang=eng,en,und
sub-fix-timing=yes
sub-filter-sdh=yes
subs-with-matching-audio=no
demuxer-mkv-subtitle-preroll=yes

sub-font-size=42
sub-border-size=1
sub-font="Verdana Bold"
sub-color=0.85/0.85/0.85/0.85

sub-pos=100
sub-margin-y=3
sub-margin-x=100

glsl-shader="C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\mpv\Shaders\FSRCNNX_x2_8-0-4-1.glsl"
glsl-shader="C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\mpv\Shaders\KrigBilateral.glsl"
glsl-shader="C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\mpv\Shaders\SSimDownscaler.glsl"

Thanks for this. How would I go about enabling Dolby vision and how would I check if it’s on? My tv supports it and HDR is on but I don’t think Dolby vision is for DV content in mpv.

1,785 (edited by Blackfyre 22-07-2024 15:00:10)

Insindro wrote:

Thanks for this. How would I go about enabling Dolby vision and how would I check if it’s on? My tv supports it and HDR is on but I don’t think Dolby vision is for DV content in mpv.

You're welcome.

Change hdr-compute-peak=yes to no instead. There is some HDR content that flickers with hdr-compute turned on for me on my LG C2. But maybe it depends on the monitor/TV, so keep it on, but if you notice flickering in some scenes, switch it to off.

If the colours, brightness, and black levels look good, and there is no banding, then Dolby Vision is working fine. But while using MPV, turn on CAPS lock, press i on the keyboard and it will show up the stats (information) which reveals what's being used next to colormatrix it should say dolbyvision. Turning on CAPS lock allows the information screen to stay up without fading away, pressing i again will make it go away. Without CAPS lock enabled, it comes on for a few seconds then goes away.

Blackfyre wrote:
Insindro wrote:

You're welcome.

Change hdr-compute-peak=yes to no instead. There is some HDR content that flickers with hdr-compute turned on for me on my LG C2. But maybe it depends on the monitor/TV, so keep it on, but if you notice flickering in some scenes, switch it to off.

If the colours, brightness, and black levels look good, and there is no banding, then Dolby Vision is working fine. But while using MPV, turn on CAPS lock, press i on the keyboard and it will show up the stats (information) which reveals what's being used next to colormatrix it should say dolbyvision. Turning on CAPS lock allows the information screen to stay up without fading away, pressing i again will make it go away. Without CAPS lock enabled, it comes on for a few seconds then goes away.

I’ll keep this in mind. I appreciate the help!

1,787 (edited by dawkinscm 24-07-2024 16:43:34)

Rife v4.20 has been released. I didn't do a large amount of testing but I did check the few remaining artefacts I know of and there doesn't seem to be a clear  difference to v4.15/v4.18 on my system.

Update: Apparently v4.20 is great when using 16x interpolation with Anime. I would be interested to hear if that is helpful for anyone.

dawkinscm wrote:

Rife v4.20 has been released. I didn't do a large amount of testing but I did check the few remaining artefacts I know of and there doesn't seem to be a clear  difference to v4.15/v4.18 on my system.

Update: Apparently v4.20 is great when using 16x interpolation with Anime. I would be interested to hear if that is helpful for anyone.

Massive difference in size! wow hopefully I can run 4K 2x with a 3090, but I highly doubt it. Usually I have to wait for the Lite v2, but even then, not all of them can run.

Blackfyre wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:

Massive difference in size! wow hopefully I can run 4K 2x with a 3090, but I highly doubt it. Usually I have to wait for the Lite v2, but even then, not all of them can run.

Idk why but everything after 4.16 v2 always not smooth, now even container fix doesnt affect 4.20v1v2 models! RTX 4070 whats wrong?

1,790 (edited by Insindro 25-07-2024 09:42:33)

RickyAstle98 wrote:
Blackfyre wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:

Idk why but everything after 4.16 v2 always not smooth, now even container fix doesnt affect 4.20v1v2 models! RTX 4070 whats wrong?

Container fix?

1,791 (edited by RickyAstle98 25-07-2024 14:07:57)

Insindro wrote:
RickyAstle98 wrote:
Blackfyre wrote:

Container fix?

For example I have some videos that not smooth 4.10+ models with mkv container (this issue affects all mkv containers), mp4 container fixes this issue sometimes!

dawkinscm wrote:

I can see a slight improvement for some interference pattern artifacts, but 4.20 introduces other artifacts especially on the edges of the video in fast moving scenes.

1,793 (edited by dawkinscm 30-07-2024 09:26:49)

Xenocyde wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:

I can see a slight improvement for some interference pattern artifacts, but 4.20 introduces other artifacts especially on the edges of the video in fast moving scenes.

Yes I saw those too after I wrote my original message and went back to 4.18 smile

1,794 (edited by Insindro 30-07-2024 10:55:19)

What are your top 3-5 rife models and miscellaneous settings for scene changes? Just want to get a good idea of what everyone is currently using, thanks!

Insindro wrote:

What are your top 3-5 rife models and miscellaneous settings for scene changes? Just want to get a good idea of what everyone is currently using, thanks!

I don't have a 4090, but for my RTX 3090, the one and only model that works at 4K x 2 with the best quality = 4.16_Lite(v2) has been the primary one since it was released.

RickyAstle98 wrote:
scb wrote:
RickyAstle98 wrote:

Line 137
Line 1179
Line 1297

Please do elaborate.. what is the impact of this? What are my options and how does it help? smile

Higher optimization level the longer engine build times but more accurate dynamic tactics!
Level 0 : fastest engine build/performance drop (about -2%)
Level 1 : faster engine build/performance drop (about -1%)
Level 2 : fast engine build
Level 3 : default TRT execution level
Level 4 : DONT but DONT do that plz!
Level 5 : DONT but DONT do that plz!!! (+3% performance)

Very old post, I come back to this and I wonder why you put it like that, only for the longer time to take the builder to finish?  or there is something else what no use a value of 5

Insindro wrote:

I like 4.15. If you need 30% faster its 4.15 light. 4.20 is nice for anime. Try these models. I only use v2 for faster seek

Can anyone give any insight to the scene change detection? I am looking for the best method that doesn't fuse the scene changes together. I am using SVP motion vectors with the repeat frame setting. At first it seemed to work great, not many fused images at scene changes. But now it seems just the same as when I had it set to 15% IC, before the last update. If I lowered that value, it would lessen the fluidity of the motion, but scene changes were better at lower values. What are you all using for scene change detection? Thank you.

chesley96 wrote:

Can anyone give any insight to the scene change detection?

There was a weird scenario recently where only "image comparison" algorithm detected a specific scene change:
https://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopi … 102#p85102
You can compare the scene changes yourself by pressing the < and > buttons in mpv.

1,800 (edited by Drakko01 03-08-2024 00:43:42)

dlr5668 wrote:
Insindro wrote:

I like 4.15. If you need 30% faster its 4.15 light. 4.20 is nice for anime. Try these models. I only use v2 for faster seek

These days I prefer 4.18 Nvof MV/blend Adjacent Frame x3, 4k files  downscale 1920*1080 upscale 1440p(Rtx 4070ti)