Re: New RIFE filter - 3x faster AI interpolation possible in SVP!!!

RickyAstle98 wrote:
dlr5668 wrote:
RickyAstle98 wrote:

I forgot that I used 2x2 all the time

How do you do that? I use only v2 models (for better rewind speed) and wanna try. How does it affect model performance?

What do you mean?

My bad I missed line about align/valign

1,977 (edited by flowreen91 26-09-2024 19:18:04)

pensioner600 wrote:
Xenocyde wrote:

Will test MPC-BE for microstuttering.

If you plan to melt above 160 fps, then I recommend version 0.7.1.2172 of mpcVR. Here (and in the following messages) it’s clear why.  The developer does not fix this error and wants a high-frequency monitor))
https://mpc-be.org/forum/index.php?topi … 18#msg8818

@pensioner600 The mpcVR devs are looking for you:
https://mpc-be.org/forum/index.php?msg=8944

1,978 (edited by pensioner600 27-09-2024 20:11:24)

flowreen91 wrote:

@pensioner600 The mpcVR devs are looking for you:

Yes, I saw it, thanks!

I didn't like 4.26 at all.
I usually compare them on this video.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OQAHl3 … sp=sharing

At 57 seconds on Steve Carell's nose.
4.18 is the best nose.
4.15lite is a little worse.
4.26 is the worst nose, it doubles.
The nose is an example where everything is clearly visible. In my other testing moments, 4.26 also showed itself poorly.
Before this, 4.15lite was the best model for me. I'm switching to 4.18 for now. I'll test other models when I have time. But 4.26 is very bad.

pensioner600 wrote:

4.18 is the best nose.
4.15lite is a little worse.
4.26 is the worst nose, it doubles.

4.26 was the worst for me as well in my testing, it was very stable in some scenarios, but horrible in others.

If you never tried 4.25 by the way, give it a try. I use it instead of 4.18 now for 4K ≤ 1699 frame height. If you have the 4090 you can use it for everything.

1,980 (edited by madchickendog 03-10-2024 00:38:56)

Is anyone having success using rife 2x framerate 48fps or more with an rtx 4080 super?

I have 12700k 32gb ram, 16gb ram on gpu.

I cant find much anecdotal comments on people having success with RIFE with UHD content without a 4090.

I am having stable smooth interpolation only at 1080p 48 fps, anything more than that jitters or plays in slower motion including slower audio.

1,981 (edited by Blackfyre 03-10-2024 02:30:23)

madchickendog wrote:

Is anyone having success using rife 2x framerate 48fps or more with an rtx 4080 super?

I have 12700k 32gb ram, 16gb ram on gpu.

I cant find much anecdotal comments on people having success with RIFE with UHD content without a 4090.

I am having stable smooth interpolation only at 1080p 48 fps, anything more than that jitters or plays in slower motion including slower audio.

RTX 3090 and I didn't upgrade to the 4080 Super because I saw reports before that people who upgraded struggled.

But surely it depends on which model you are using.

First of all, I recommend testing with RIFE 4.9

Second test with v2 Models, as they perform better. But you need to scroll up and find the files on the last page or page before that to replace, so it fixes screen shake issue that happens with v2

Third, overclocking MEMORY clock speed helps RIFE performance.

This below is basically the reason why the RTX 3090 outperforms the 4080 and 4080 Super with RIFE, someone can correct me if I am wrong:

The RTX 3090 boasts an additional 8GB of VRAM and features a broader 384-bit data bus, surpassing the 256-bit memory of the RTX 4080. Furthermore, its impressive 936.2 GB/s memory bandwidth is a 30.6% advantage over the RTX 4080’s 716.8 GB/s.

Blackfyre wrote:

This below is basically the reason why the RTX 3090 outperforms the 4080 and 4080 Super with RIFE, someone can correct me if I am wrong:

The RTX 3090 boasts an additional 8GB of VRAM and features a broader 384-bit data bus, surpassing the 256-bit memory of the RTX 4080. Furthermore, its impressive 936.2 GB/s memory bandwidth is a 30.6% advantage over the RTX 4080’s 716.8 GB/s.

That definitely applies to v4.16. But for other models, the 4080's overall performance improvement (also massive efficiency improvement but not relevant here) will probably make up the difference.

1,983 (edited by Gippy 03-10-2024 18:13:50)

Watching 1080p anime with RIFE set to 60fps and with MadVR postprocessing to 4K. 4080 Super, AI 4.9.

I'm finding that with RIFE TensorRT, outlines and edges shimmer (the outline width noticeably changes) when panning or scrolling happens. This does not happen with RIFE ncnn/Vulkan or standard SVP interpolation. I tried changing AI models and they all do this. Disabling MadVR doesn't seem to fix it either; it happens with all renderers. It's off-putting enough that I've stuck with standard SVP interpolation for now. Is there a fix for this, or is this a known issue? There's no point in the performance increase of TensorRT if it looks like dogshit.

1,984 (edited by flowreen91 03-10-2024 18:24:57)

Please try to record your screen with an obvious scenario of "outlines and edges shimmer (the outline width noticeably changes) when panning or scrolling happens."
That way SVP developers can check and fix the issue hopefully.
Also mention where you downloaded the source of that video sample so they can download it too from same place and compare.

Blackfyre mentioned a recent "shake" issue:
https://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopi … 509#p85509
that gets fixed with this:
https://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopi … 522#p85522

Maybe what u found is something new.

1,985 (edited by Gippy 03-10-2024 20:17:08)

flowreen91 wrote:

Please try to record your screen with an obvious scenario of "outlines and edges shimmer (the outline width noticeably changes) when panning or scrolling happens."

http://nnl1.com/misc/TensorRT-Bug.mp4

This is a 1440p60 file so please watch it at 100% zoom. First I play it with standard SVP which looks great. Then I replay it with RIFE TensorRT. Focus on the uniform edges, specifically the shoulder crease marks. This becomes very obvious when blown up to a large 4K TV.

madchickendog wrote:

Is anyone having success using rife 2x framerate 48fps or more with an rtx 4080 super? I am having stable smooth interpolation only at 1080p 48 fps, anything more than that jitters or plays in slower motion including slower audio.

I can get 1080p120 with TensorRT and MPC Video Renderer, using 90% GPU. I can get 1080p60 with TensorRT and MadVR with the NGU Sharp scaler set to High, along with some other postprocessing like Sharpen/Crispen/Thin Edges. This uses 80% GPU, and is what I normally do because my Sony TV can then use its own Bravia XR interpolation processing to go from 60fps to 120fps. However, due to the TensorRT bug I'm experiencing, I've switched back to standard SVP for now. I'm able to increase the NGU Sharp scaler from High to Very High because standard SVP can be all done on the CPU. (To force this, Application settings > GPU acceleration > no acceleration) Note that the NGU Sharp scaler is very GPU intensive, so if you're using that, be careful when adjusting.

Gippy wrote:

Watching 1080p anime with RIFE set to 60fps and with MadVR postprocessing to 4K. 4080 Super, AI 4.9.

I'm finding that with RIFE TensorRT, outlines and edges shimmer (the outline width noticeably changes) when panning or scrolling happens. This does not happen with RIFE ncnn/Vulkan or standard SVP interpolation. I tried changing AI models and they all do this. Disabling MadVR doesn't seem to fix it either; it happens with all renderers. It's off-putting enough that I've stuck with standard SVP interpolation for now. Is there a fix for this, or is this a known issue? There's no point in the performance increase of TensorRT if it looks like dogshit.

Can you try different model? 4.9 is quite old and bad with non integer multipliers. Try 4.15 lite v2, 4.18 v2, 4.25 v2

Gippy wrote:

When doubling FPS of the test scene from here:
https://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopi … 509#p85509
We can see how the directly generated video of RIFE has no shake of the white lines on the right side of the screen.
But when transcoding it with SVP, every interpolated frame has different positioning of the white lines than the non-interpolated frames.
It's like you show the video normally on the non-interpolated frames and then reduce the height by a few pixels on the RIFE generated frames which makes the pixels not align with the original movie, adding a shake-like effect on the static white lines that is obvious for big screen users.

SVP devs please take a look:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ … gbYN3w1Eeo
Thanks!

1,988 (edited by Gippy 04-10-2024 19:07:26)

flowreen91 wrote:

But when transcoding it with SVP, every interpolated frame has different positioning of the white lines than the non-interpolated frames.
It's like you show the video normally on the non-interpolated frames and then reduce the height by a few pixels on the RIFE generated frames which makes the pixels not align with the original movie, adding a shake-like effect on the static white lines that is obvious for big screen users.

You might be on to something here. When using TensorRT and a 1080p model is being configured, the model is set up as 1920x1088, not 1920x1080. This is because 1088 is divisible by 16 but 1080 isn't.

Anyway, I hope this bug gets resolved soon, as RIFE needs to be almost perfect to justify using it over standard SVP. Standard SVP with best settings only requires 4 cores @ 60% CPU on my 12900K, while RIFE is a GPU killer.

EDIT: This bug also occurs with 1280x720 video, and the shimmering happens at that resolution, too. The model is set up as 1280x736.

1,989 (edited by RickyAstle98 04-10-2024 15:46:41)

Any possibility to make black frame insertion like vf-append or deinterlace filter that doubles the FPS? I mean what IF any other black/grey frame for motion debluring?

RickyAstle98 wrote:

Any possibility to make black frame insertion like vf-append or deinterlace filter that doubles the FPS? I mean what IF any other black/grey frame for motion debluring?

You can edit source scripts in SVP folder. Not many have 240 hz OLED for it to be useful

1,991 (edited by RickyAstle98 04-10-2024 18:34:51)

dlr5668 wrote:
RickyAstle98 wrote:

You can edit source scripts in SVP folder. Not many have 240 hz OLED for it to be useful

The OLED? The BFI still benefits for any panel types, my chinese 180Hz IPS sad
How to edit source script to make every other frame black? thanks!

1,992 (edited by dlr5668 Yesterday 03:37:13)

RickyAstle98 wrote:
dlr5668 wrote:
RickyAstle98 wrote:

Even SVP dev cant do it in 1 try. Dump SVP 4\script into chatgpt/claude and start debugging until you get it right or bored. Thats how I would start

1,993 (edited by RickyAstle98 Yesterday 08:34:55)

dlr5668 wrote:
RickyAstle98 wrote:
dlr5668 wrote:

Even SVP dev cant do it in 1 try. Dump SVP 4\script into chatgpt/claude and start debugging until you get it right or bored. Thats how I would start

Actually that easy to implement as I said earlier vf-append/vf-fps or deinterlace filter, without feature primary target, put black PNG over and over, devs can do that too easy, I dont use AI debugger sorry!

1,994 (edited by dlr5668 Yesterday 11:15:23)

RickyAstle98 wrote:

Actually that easy to implement as I said earlier vf-append/vf-fps or deinterlace filter, without feature primary target, put black PNG over and over, devs can do that too easy, I dont use AI debugger sorry!

Will it handle fps correctly? For example, start at 24. Triple with rife to 72. Add BF to 144. Then player receives 144 and switches display to 144 Hz mode. GSync and BFI is no no imho. I think its better done inside svp scripts

Is it possible to use RIFE in the JRiver media center?

allexmv wrote:

Is it possible to use RIFE in the JRiver media center?

if you can add 'Vapoursynth Filter' then yes

dlr5668 wrote:
RickyAstle98 wrote:

Will it handle fps correctly? For example, start at 24. Triple with rife to 72. Add BF to 144. Then player receives 144 and switches display to 144 Hz mode. GSync and BFI is no no imho. I think its better done inside svp scripts

Yes it will handle fps correctly, just like an filter works ontop, but instead of repeating frames, put black PNGs, no matter what display refresh rates with GSync window, since monitor will synced to output, so 72Hz with 2 black frames instead 2 repeated frames for clear motion, GSync will synced to 72 respectively!