Re: New RIFE filter - 3x faster AI interpolation possible in SVP!!!

Chainik wrote:

different scene change detection methods work differently big_smile

I'm sure smile

How would those differences be described, to allow an end-user like myself to know what might be reasons to pick one over the other?

2,052 (edited by RickyAstle98 18-10-2024 19:21:21)

scb wrote:
Chainik wrote:

different scene change detection methods work differently big_smile

I'm sure smile

How would those differences be described, to allow an end-user like myself to know what might be reasons to pick one over the other?

NVOF : good (smoother than SVP)
SVP : normal
RIFE : good/normal (weird changes depends on threshold but perfect with newer models)

Chainik wrote:

> Is there anything we can do to increase NVOF and SVP algorithms strength

yep
smooth.scene.limits.scene
smooth.scene.limits.blocks

the bad thing is that values that work good with resizing to 720p doesn't seems to work with 1080p and 4K

Could you give more detailed info on how to increase the algorithm's strength when transcoding 1080p video, with examples?

Would it be possible to add an option in the GUI to simplify this process? I still find RIFE unusable with the hideous scene transitions.

RickyAstle98 wrote:

RIFE : good/normal (weird changes depends on threshold but perfect with newer models)

I think we're talking cross purposes here, the image comparison list in SVP has the following options
* Disabled
* SVP motion vectors
* NVOF motion vectors
* Image comparison

It's the differences between these four options that I'm looking for clarification on. Can you help?

2,055 (edited by RickyAstle98 20-10-2024 06:26:25)

scb wrote:
RickyAstle98 wrote:

I think we're talking cross purposes here, the image comparison list in SVP has the following options
* Disabled
* SVP motion vectors
* NVOF motion vectors
* Image comparison

It's the differences between these four options that I'm looking for clarification on. Can you help?

Disabled - RIFE image comparison method (100% threshold) (same problems as image comparison with threshold >25%)
SVP motion vectors: smooth transitions between scenes but suffers with high speed camera movement (high frame repeat/frame blending)
NVOF motion vectors: smoother transitions between scenes than SVP but has wavy artefacts between scenes (low frame repeat/frame blending)
Image comparison: RIFE has weird scene transitions, overall smoothness better than others (high frame repeat/frame blending with threshold <5% / scene weirdness differs from model and threshold)

2,056 (edited by dawkinscm 20-10-2024 21:36:08)

Rife v4.25 lite is now available for anyone who is interested.

dawkinscm wrote:

Rife v2.5 lite is now available for anyone who is interested.

aka 4.25 lite

Xenocyde wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:

Rife v2.5 lite is now available for anyone who is interested.

aka 4.25 lite

Thanks smile

dawkinscm wrote:

Rife v4.25 lite is now available for anyone who is interested.

Lots of artefacts in some test scenes. Similar to, or worse than 4.26

Back to my preferred ones below:

4.25 v2 < 1699

4.16 Lite v2 > 1700

2,060 (edited by RickyAstle98 Yesterday 08:19:36)

RTX 4070 (10 months old)

4.25 V1/V2 Lite test > worst (the pixels interpolating separately from main object) (not happens from 4.0 to 4.18)

Test parameters: mod8/mod32/mod64 inputs | builder optimization levels 2/3/4

2,061 (edited by abraxas Yesterday 09:34:29)

4.25_lite v2: max 5% less GPU usage than non-lite (4K HDR source material, frc.frame.resize=-19201080, fixed 60fps/SDR tone-mapped, upscaled to 4K with mpv/a couple of shaders) , no artifacts in my test scenes in The Martian, Jason Bourne, Rogue One, Big Bang Theory (1080p source, fixed 48fps) and downloaded YT-Video with different aspect ratio (fixed 48fps).

Smooth overall visual impression an 27" 4k monitor. Much better than 4.26x (which has many artifacts in my test cases).

Shaders:
hdebeband.glsl
SSimSuperRes.glsl
FSRCCNNX_x2_8-0-4-1.glsl
contrast.10.hk

Edit: I cannot post for another hour, wtf...

RickyAstle98 wrote:

I think your shaders somehow interfere RIFE algorithms, because 4.26 was better than 4.25L during my test sessions, a lot, but pixel crosstalk still an issue!
What do you mean upscaled back to 4K thats output resolution now? (resize and upscaling interfere RIFE methods - tested)

Just to be sure, I just repeated the test again, the artifacts I'm testing/looking for are significant with and without shaders at 4.26 (as they are at 4.15l, 4.16l, 4.18l) and not visible at 4.25l (and 4.22l).

Yes, I meant the output resolution. Without downscaling for rife (and upscaling to output resolution of course) I wouldn't be able to get 48 or 60fps at all (GPU = 4070). I could downscale to slightly higher (e.g. 23041260, then max 48fps possible), but it's not worth it for my viewing pleasure.

While testing, I just noticed that if I set resize to -23041260, I see the artifacts at 4.25l and at 4.26. If I set it back to -19201080, only at 4.26. Erm... and -25601440 same as -19201080...

2,062 (edited by RickyAstle98 Yesterday 08:36:18)

abraxas wrote:

4.25_lite v2: max 5% less GPU usage than non-lite (4K HDR source material, frc.frame.resize=-19201080, fixed 60fps/SDR tone-mapped, upscaled to 4K with mpv/a couple of shaders) , no artifacts in my test scenes in The Martian, Jason Bourne, Rogue One, Big Bang Theory (1080p source, fixed 48fps) and downloaded YT-Video with different aspect ratio (fixed 48fps).

Smooth overall visual impression an 27" 4k monitor. Much better than 4.26x (which has many artifacts in my test cases).

Shaders:
hdebeband.glsl
SSimSuperRes.glsl
FSRCCNNX_x2_8-0-4-1.glsl
contrast.10.hk

I think your shaders somehow interfere RIFE algorithms, because 4.26 was better than 4.25L during my test sessions, a lot, but pixel crosstalk still an issue!
What do you mean upscaled back to 4K thats output resolution now? (resize and upscaling interfere RIFE methods - tested)

RickyAstle98 wrote:

Just to be sure, I just repeated the test again, the artifacts I'm testing/looking for are significant with and without shaders at 4.26 (as they are at 4.15l, 4.16l, 4.18l) and not visible at 4.25l (and 4.22l).

Yes, I meant the output resolution. Without downscaling for rife (and upscaling to output resolution of course) I wouldn't be able to get 48 or 60fps at all (GPU = 4070). I could downscale to slightly higher (e.g. 23041260, then max 48fps possible), but it's not worth it for my viewing pleasure.

While testing, I just noticed that if I set resize to -23041260, I see the artifacts at 4.25l and at 4.26. If I set it back to -19201080, only at 4.26. Erm... and -25601440 same as -19201080...